[ Content | View menu ]

Movin’ on up

Written on July 17, 2008

For some time, I’ve been a little concerned about security in term of this here blog. By throwing my real name, not to mention a number of personal details, around the internets I’ve wondered if I’m being a bit stupidly brazen. The cyber equivalent of walking down Broadway with my trousers around my ankles. I worry that some of the things I say could be used against me. For example, say (and this is purely hypothetical) I went looking for a job at a media outlet owned by Rupert Murdoch, as most of the media outlets in Australia are. It wouldn’t take much more than a Google search to find out my opinion on Murdoch’s contributions to the world. (For the record: he’s almost singlehandedly destroyed journalism by raping and pillaging his way through the world’s media. Avast ye mateys!)Let me just adjust my tin foil hat. So, in an effort to protect myself from myself, and more importantly my family from myself, I’m going to move chrisdellavedova.com to a new address.I’ve no intention of changing much at the new address. The format and look of the site will remain roughly the same. I also don’t think that it’s going to be fully anonymous. I mean with photos of all of us emblazoned all over the page, it won’t be much of a challenge to sort it out. What I hope that this move will prevent is things like potential employers being able to immediately connect me with occasionally rash statements and giving a phisherman a one stop shop for all the personal information he needs to nick my identity. I’d like to at least make it slightly challenging. And not having my name as the url is probably a good start.This site will remain functional for a while and I may make it into something more professional in time. I’m going to very slowly, transfer all of the posts from here to the new address, for posterity’s sake.Here’s the important bit: I value you my readers, but I’m not going to link to the new address as this would kind of defeat the purpose. Some of you have already figured it out – well done. If you want the new address, send me an e-mail (cdv[at]chrisdellavedova[dot]com) and I’ll gladly give it to you – unless, of course, you are a potential employer. Or a phisherman. Or the NSA.

Filed in: This 'n' that.

17 Comments

Write comment - TrackBack - RSS Comments

1. Comment by ssg:

send me the link. where’s the narcissism gone?

July 17, 2008 @ 9:11 pm
  2. Comment by ssg:

can we suggest names for your newblog?
    what about cdv.com
    or thcs.com
    or ilovegalaxycaramels.com
    or yourmother.com
    or idratherbemoaning.com

July 17, 2008 @ 9:12 pm
  3. Comment by Hezamarie:

yeah, I looked it up. Your name is certainly unique. This site is the first to pop up. Defo. Time to sneak back into the mix. Link me.

Hezamarie’s last blog post..a shandy toast to Olive

July 17, 2008 @ 10:41 pm
  4. Comment by Starrlight:

Ahh cyber anonymity….I sorta have it. Anyone who played on Cazic Thule server in Everquest and knows me would figure it out pretty darn quick though ;)

I sent an email!

Starrlight’s last blog post..I’m The Root Of All That’s Evil, Yeah But You Can Call Me Cookie – TT 47

July 17, 2008 @ 11:10 pm
  5. Comment by courtney:

Of course I want the new URL. But I will follow directions and e-mail you shortly.

courtney’s last blog post..Florida? But That’s America’s Wang!

July 17, 2008 @ 11:47 pm
  6. Comment by People in the Sun:

Hey, what’s the new address? peopleinthesun@gmail.com

It’s imnotchrisdellavedova.com, isn’t it?

July 18, 2008 @ 12:49 am
  7. Comment by NATUI:

Oh! I hope it is something like Mad Scientist in Oz or Rogue Elevator Eater (dot) com

NATUI’s last blog post..The Closer I Am To Fine

July 18, 2008 @ 3:40 am
  8. Comment by Xbox4NappyRash:

Would I seem REALLY stupid if I said I’ve only just twigged to the fact that is your name…

Xbox4NappyRash’s last blog post..WWXVI

July 18, 2008 @ 3:44 am
  9. Comment by Jessica K:

I don’t blame you really. Some of the ways people have found my site really freak me out for my boys sake. I’ve wondered if it would be safer for them if I changed mine too.

I meant to tell you that I got my cd in the mail the other day. :) It’s always nice to have a prize in the mail when you get home.

Jessica K’s last blog post..Brothers

July 18, 2008 @ 7:26 am
  10. Comment by CDV:

I just want to say that if you’ve commented in the last week or so that I sent you an e-mail with the new address. Maybe check your junk.

This wasn’t an exercise in making you all beg to be my friend or some narcissistic shit, OK?

July 18, 2008 @ 8:26 am
  11. Comment by Trish:

I feel really stupid that I haven’t figured out the new address.

I’ll send you an email toot-sweet. And I look forward to the new blog!

Trish’s last blog post..Counting sheep

July 18, 2008 @ 9:01 am
  12. Comment by Joe:

Crap…. now I have to delete/update my bookmarks. Man, I just switched to using Del.icio.us as my bookmark manager… now I gotta figure out how to update it.

Who has two thumbs and hates change? THIS GUY (points thumbs at self)!!!

Joe’s last blog post..Tyler James for President

July 18, 2008 @ 11:25 am
  13. Comment by Toasty:

Hi CDV,
    I commented in the last week or so (in the who we are section)… could I please receive the new url? Damn, I don’t mind a little begging.

Anyway, I wish I weren’t Toasty and could post pics of my cute kids… but I promised the hubs I wouldn’t offend his family any more than I already do by being non-anonymous. So, I’ve just got to be Toasty (for now!).

Toasty’s last blog post..A Couple of Virgins Walk Into a Chuck E. Cheese

July 18, 2008 @ 1:24 pm
  14. Comment by Agnes:

I’ve actually thought to myself before that you’ve been pretty brave about putting yourself out there. I’m pretty anonymous on my blog – of course my friends and family know, but that’s it. I like the fact that I can say what I like without anybody knowing who I am (not that I say anything bad!). And I’m definitely freaked out by the possibility of someone ‘finding’ me somehow. Think you’ve made the right decision though, safety is pretty important!

Agnes’s last blog post..Incoming: Second Dan, Jon & Roy and The Sapiens

July 18, 2008 @ 3:42 pm
  15. Comment by Jeremy:

Followed the site for a while CDV and always enjoyed the writing, just been a while since I posted or blogged. Send out the address and have fun.

July 24, 2008 @ 3:08 am
  16. Comment by Jenny, Bloggess:

I’m formally requesting the new address. Which I will only share with Rupert Murdoch.

Jenny, Bloggess’s last blog post..This is a whole post explaining why this post is not funny at all

August 2, 2008 @ 3:39 am
  17. Comment by Busy Dad Mumbles:

007, this is agent 99. Will send an e-mail with random letters. If you picjk out every third letter you may find my e-mail address.

Sorry about making light. Being without the e-mail address would cause me to lose track of the former British Bulldog and my lifeline for music knowledge.

August 3, 2008 @ 7:13 am